Friday, May 18, 2012

Sneak Peek - Window Coverings

Our new home had exactly zero curtains when we moved in.  It also had exactly two windows that were  standard size and I could buy blinds off the shelf to fit them.  The other windows?  The dreaded custom order. After months of dithering back and forth, I finally bit the proverbial bullet and ordered window coverings for all the windows in one fell swoop.

(In case you were wondering, yes, our savings account is currently in the ICU attempting to recover.  Why are these suckers so much money!)

It will take several weeks for them to arrive and be installed, but here is a sneak peak...

We're using shutters on the four front downstairs windows - two in the living room, two that flank the front door.  They look like these:



For the kitchen, we went with a roman shade over the slider and kitchen window in this woven wood material (with lining for extra insulation and light blockage):


For the dining room, another roman in a neutral linen blend:


And lastly, for the master bedroom and office, a roman in strait up natural linen.  The Hunter Douglas rep tried to convince me to go with a more trendy color in the master and I had to burst her bubble by letting her know I will have this curtains until the day I die.  As in, these need to be neutral enough to go with any decor scheme.  As in, no, I will not be going with the lovely duck blue shade you think would blend with my color scheme perfectly.


They are coming to do final measurements tomorrow and then the countdown is on!

Wait - did I forget to mention one room that won't be getting a blind?

THE DEN.

People, even the Hunter Douglas design rep, who has been doing this for 30 years, was at a loss as to what type of window covering I should use on that sliding glass door, based upon the placement of the couch. I think I have a plan in place though...will do a Den update soon!

1 comment: