Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013

The first day of 2013 was exactly what I had hoped, starting with a trip to my hometown to spend time with  my parents, siblings and nephews.

Bike and scooter rides along the coast with stops to watch the amazing waves.
Discovering beach teepees with cousins.
Driftwood teeter-tottering near sunset.  These two then went big and ran into the freezing water with only their skivvies on.
Every year I make a few resolutions. I never remember them by the end of the year, but I stay true to my  Capricorn/Type A persona and start out January with a list...a very mish-mash of a list.  Maybe documenting them is the trick?

1.  Revert to using a "paper" planner.  For many years I have relied on electronic tools to schedule life.  It's not working out that well.  There is something about crossing off an action item with a nice, sharp pencil versus using the back arrow key to virtually delete it that's so much more...motivating.  The paper version worked awesome for me in college...then came the invention of the Palm Pilot.  On so forth.  Sorry software programs, my personal life called and said you're FIRED.

I have always loved the Greenroom products (sold at Target) for office organization.  The other day I was cruising the back aisle end caps at Target (where the BEST deals are) and came across the cutest planners I've seen in years.  AND....and...the planner portion is actually functional - it jives with how I like to view my schedule.

I ended up with the tangerine + gold dots.
I highly recommend.  And for less than $10, it's not a huge loss if you ditch it in February. (Unlike these customer planners, recently reaching cult status from what I understand.)

2.  Pull together disaster emergency kit.  Time to buy that garbage can and stuff it with water, canned food, batteries, medical supplies and such.

3.  Finalize Living Will.  aka "Shock our Estate Lawyer".  I think he's given up on us.

4.  Remember and recognize birthdays.  Time to become best friends with Hallmark again.

5.  Spend and save more intentionally.  Plan and focus savings goals.  More grocery shopping at Safeway//less money at Whole Foods.  Prioritize home improvement projects.  Etc.

6.  More sleep.  More water.  More running.  Enough said.  (At least this year I was able to write "more" running...instead of "start" running!)

7.  Blogging.  A lot more. 

8.  Less dreaming.  More doing.  Dust off the ol' craft closet.  Make baby blankets when they are still babies...not kindergarteners.  That sort of thing.

9.  Be more connected.  Nurture the personal relationships that help support and make me who I am.

I'll stop with nine, an odd number in honor of this odd numbered year.

Welcome 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment