Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I Have to Park These Conversations Here

The last few days have really underscored how C is firmly out of the toddler stage and hurtling towards being a proper little boy.  Case in point, a few of the conversations I've had with him in the past day or so.

I tend to lean into the catagory of a "fall-cleaner" vs "spring-cleaner" and made C's room my project yesterday; a ginormous map from IKEA put together, new "nice" bedding for the bunk beds that I bought two years ago (before N was born) got washed, and actual nails went into the walls to hang pictures and momentos.  It looks 100% better albeit a bit psychotic from a decorating perspective as I try to pull together a Nautical/Hockey theme (yikes - it looks as interesting as it sounds.) 

He ran upstairs when we get home.  I walk into his room and he says "So.......where is my surprise?"

Sigh.

E.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g has changed in his room.  Including the massive map that now takes up a whole wall.  And a shrine to his favorite hockey players by his bed.  So as I deliberately point out these things (through gritted teeth), I ask "So what do you think, do you love it?"

He thinks about it for a couple of seconds and says to me-

C:  (pointing to the top bunk of his bed) "Mom, so like, when I'm 5 or maybe 6 will I sleep up there?"
Me:  "Yes honey, sure, 5 or 6, whenever you are ready."
C:  (pointing to the bottom bunk) "And N will sleep down there?"
Me:  "Yes, exactly."
C:  (thinking some more) "Mom, if N cries when he first sleeps there, is it ok if I get down from my bed and go into his bed to give him snuggies?  And then when he stops crying, I'll go back into my bed.  Is that ok?"
Me:  (stunned)  "Yes, absolutely."
C:  "Ok, good."

So.Adorable.

Now, let's contrast this heart melting story with the conversation I had with him tonight as I was putting him to bed.  C wants to be a fireman (again) for halloween, but wants to add fireman "accessories" to his costume from last year -

Me:  "Tell me again what you want for your halloween costume?"
C:  "Oh, ok, sooooooooo I want fireman pants, fireman boots, a fireman hose and a fireplace."
Me:  "Ok - wait, a fireplace?"
C:  "Yes, a fireplace mom, I need one."
Me:  "Uhhh, why?"
C:  "Well, I'll explain it to you next time we're on a plane."
Me:  "WHAT?  Why do I have to wait!"
*cue enormous set of giggles*

Annnnnnnnnnnnndddddd it wasn't until I was writing this post that I realized by fireplace, he meant a fire PLANE (which is derived from the fact my brother used to be on the CDF Helitac crew.)

I wish there was a way to go back to thinking like an almost four year old.  Pure awesomeness (most of the time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment